Dear NACNS members and affiliates,
We are excited to announce that NACNS, in collaboration with Indiana University School of Nursing, is developing a member requested continuing education course for supporting CNS preceptors. This online course will be available to CNSs interested in becoming CNS student preceptors as well as experienced CNSs looking for new ideas and academic programs seeking options for preparing CNS preceptors. The course is slated to debut in Spring, 2016!
Here’s how you can help! The planning team is seeking stories illustrating “in the field” perspectives – examples providing insight for future preceptors. Below is a list of suggested topical areas where exemplars/stories are requested.
If you have a story to share, please click the link below for further information and submission instructions. There is no monetary compensation for volunteering your story, but we know that CNS preceptors would benefit from hearing about the experiences of others!
Areas were exemplar stories are needed:
- Negotiating a clinical experience with a student – Getting started on the right foot!
- Orienting a student to the unit(s)/agency – Avoiding deer-in-the-headlight
- Communicating with faculty – Who, what, when where, how.
- Providing feedback to students – What and how often!
- Learning activities –Helping students achieve practice competencies.
- Evaluating competency achievement – Beginners, over achievers and everything in-between
- Debriefing – Why it’s important for the student to know what’s in your head
- Dealing with challenging situations – If only everything went as planned!
- Fostering collegiality – Easing students into a larger professional community
- Precepting as professional development – Achieving Win-Win!
Thank you for considering this opportunity for sharing!
Peggy Barksdale, MSN, RN, OCNS-C, CNS-BC
Direct Questions to:
Lisa Wagnes, MSN, RN |Assistant Dean
Center for Professional Development and Lifelong Learning
Indiana University School of Nursing
1111 Middle Drive, NU 223
Indianapolis, IN 46202
(317) 274-8027 tel
(317) 274-0012 fax
Preceptor Course Planning Committee:
Sharron Coffie, MSN, RN, CNS-BC, Manager, Heart and Vascular Service Line, Froedert Health, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Julie Darmody, PhD, RN, ACNS-BC, DNP Program Director, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
Janet Fulton, PhD, RN, ACNS-BC, ANEF, FAAN, Professor and Coordinator of CNS Programs, Indiana University School of Nursing, Indianapolis, IN
Jennifer Kitchens, MSN, RN, ACNS-BC, CNS Acuity Adaptable, Eskenazi Health, Indianapolis, 2014 NACNS Preceptor of the Year
Francesca Levitt, MSN, ACNS-BS, Perioperative Clinical Nurse Specialist, St. Vincent Hospital, Indianapolis, IN, 2012 NACNS Preceptor of the Year
Deb Sipes-Fears, MSN, RN, CCRN, Clinical Assistant Professor, Indiana University School of Nursing, Indianapolis, IN
Lisa Wagnes, MSN, RN, Assistant Dean, Center for Professional Development and Lifelong Learning, Indiana University School of Nursing, Indianapolis, IN